Friday 16 January 2009

the road less travelled

A while back I asked all my friends to send me and the boys a post card should they be travelling anywhere. The idea was that we would add the postcards onto the large map of the world we have stuck on the wall and this would get the boys into the idea of maps (what can I say? I'm a geographer, I like colouring things in blue and believe SATNAV is a cheat).

The request went a bit viral and lots of people have sent us cards from all over the world, including amongst others Hongkong, Philadelphia, New Zealand, Vanuatu, Canada, Antarctica. The postman always looks at me askance as he hands over another postcard from some foreign land.

Today however came the pinnacle. A postcard arrived from Timbuktu. I'm so excited. This cannot be a standard or well worn postal route. And a big congratulations to the postal systems of Mali and Bosnia. I'm not sure the British system would have made it.

5 comments:

TP said...

Dangit, that must be from Badge. I SWEAR to god there is no postal system here, unless the boys would be psyched with a DHL'd postcard?

Dorset Dispatches said...

Forget the boys, how excited would I be with a Sudanese postcard!

WeDoAdventure said...

wow - you really are winning the lottery of the postal system here!

(that said we've only had a couple of things go missing...to our knowledge.)

TP said...

I am going to figure this out. Send me an e-mail with the address, I'll find out how the Ministry sends stuff out.

Unknown said...

frick. timbuktu??? i might be "winning" on quantity but just feel the quality of that....