Monday 9 March 2009

Woman's Day

Yesterday, March 8th, was Woman's Day. This occasion had previously passed me by, but in Bosnia it is a BIG deal. All day I saw men wandering around clasping flowers, chocolates, little cutsie trinket things for the women in their lives. Women are allowed to finish work early and they go and have their hair done, wear new outfits and generally glam it up. When I dropped the boys off at nursery this morning their teachers rushed up to wish me a Happy Woman's Day. It's a sort of combination between Valentines Day and Mothers Day, and I have to say that I quite like the idea of having one celebration for it all, that everyone can participate in.

Obviously I spent the day relaxing at a spa, to return to a clean house, walked dog, cleaned and fed children before relaxing in a bath of rose petals supping champagne and luxuriating in my own gorgeousness. Or maybe not.

1 comment:

Mummy said...

It is a semi-big deal in HK too. Apparently it is much more of a thing in developing countries (and those near them) than in developed ones.

We had a very worthy lunch event at work where speakers told us about how women and "our male allies" (ick, ick, can you smell the burning bra?) have come so far in the last 100 years.

The sandwiches were nice too.