Thursday 30 July 2009

Diving, Bosnian style

Whilst Britain watched Tom Daley winning golds at the world championships, the Bosnians have been doing their own special sort of diving.

The Stari Most (Old Bridge) of Mostar was destroyed by shelling during the war. It was rebuilt in 2004. A old tradition has the men of Mostar jump from the bridge into the absolutely freezing waters of the Neretva below. They still do it. They are quite mad.

Anyway, last weekend they had a big festival. I've been looking on YouTube to see if there were any clips, but I can only find some old ones, so I've included one here. I particularly like the opportunistic Red Bull advertising; last time we were in Mostar I'm pretty sure it wasn't carved onto the keystone.



PS - this is the first time I have ever managed to upload a video so I'm sharing in the applause for being so technical.

7 comments:

WeDoAdventure said...

[clapping politely!]

This year Aura was the big sponsor. I was particularly impressed that not only were they giving away branded lighters on the Stari Most but it looked like they had help-yourself packets of cigarettes too!

It was a great Sunday afternoon's entertainment. I took a lot of video which I'll get round to editing and uploading at some point.

Dan said...

Your cut and paste skills astound me :)

Dorset Dispatches said...

WDA - Would love to have been there. I've seen them jumping but not in a big festival like this one. They are quite quite mad.

Dan - it's all in the knowing what to cut and where to paste. It's quite a skill!

Kat said...

You have an award on my blog.

Iota said...

Congrats on the technical front. Great diving too.

passions and soapboxes said...

they are crazy. Congrat's on the upload. I felt so accomplished the first time I did it so I know how you feel.

Rebel Mother said...

It looks really pretty there!

Good bit of advertising with the Red Bull on the keystone!

Well done on uploading the vid. I cant do that. RMxx