Saturday 26 July 2008

Why? It's a very good question.

Although we shut up our house a week ago, we have yet to actually start our journey out to BiH. I've made it as far as London, but D, seemingly unperturbed by the fact he is to drive across Europe next week, has decided to drive across Europe. Together with his best man he is currently somewhere in France as part of the Rust Bucket Rally and sweltering in a car which is not only beige and decorated in an Elvis theme but also worth less than £200 including the petrol. If they break down and miss their flight back home the chances that I will be very cross are very high, so his mechanic skills had better be on form.

The boys and I have been taking this opportunity to catch up with a whole bunch of people who I haven't seen for a while, and certainly since we turned this crazy plan to emigrate to Bosnia into more than just bravado. Seeing so many people has meant that I have had to answer over and over again the question 'why are you going?'. We enjoy our life in the UK, have a whole bunch of lovely friends, live in a lovely city, do lots of fun stuff. No, we are not going because we don't like England. Rather it is more that we felt we needed to get out of our comfort zone. It would be so very easy not to go, and believe me there have been times when I secretly wished that we weren't. Ultimately, when all is said and done, the main reason we are going is because in two years time we would be kicking ourselves if we hadn't. I'm not sure if that is a good reason, but it is good enough for me.

No comments: