Monday 11 May 2009

food, glorious food

When I was in Bosnia thinking about coming back to the UK, I spent most of my time thinking about what I was going to eat. In general the food in Bosnia is good and usually uses fresh locally sourced ingredients. The cuisine consists of predominantly stews, pies and pizza, with fantastically good ice cream making an appearance in the summer.

But, being British, I'm used to a much wider range of choice. Our history has meant that alongside our own domestic cuisine, we are able to commonly eat Italian, French, Spanish, Chinese, Indian and Thai food, with Jamaican, Ethiopian, Vietnamese and any other country you care to name also available if you look a little harder. In Bosnia, I found myself missing the variety of tastes and flavours.

Since I got back I haven't stopped eating. Combined with a couple of weddings and an inability to say no to a good glass of champagne, it doesn't feel as if I have stopped drinking either. The end result, I'm feeling very bloated and like I have been celebrating Christmas at the wrong time of year. I'll be rolling back to Bosnia many kilos heavier and in need of a diet.

11 comments:

ck said...

Reading this made me so hungry! (Probably not what you were going for, but I would LOVE to eat a Christmas dinner right now. And all those cookies and pies...)

Mummy said...

Whenever I go home I end up feeling like a turkey being fattened for Christmas. My mother, who is of Italian descent, shows the love for her family by cooking. The first lunch back home is always a family affair, with starters, at least two types of meat for main, and three puddings. It would be rude not to try it all!

And my Dad did a wine appreciation course 3 years ago, which means there is usually an excellent selection on tap.

I put on more weight when I go home than I do over Christmas.

Maternal Tales said...

Oh I know just how you feel. Whenever I vist my parents I come home about half a stone heavier. But I still can't manage to stop myself eating whilst I'm there, despite knowing the consequences!!

And yes, your post made me hungry too (especially since husband and I have been talking about having an Indian takeaway all day...that is, until he developed a hideous toothache and is now lying upstairs on the bed having not eaten and I am still hungry :-((

Dorset Dispatches said...

ck - hungry is one thing I am not!

Mummy - I think it is good food and wine that is my undoing. I just can't say no. Tragic lack of willpower.

MT - hope he is feeling better. And talk of an Indian takeaway is getting my mouth watering.

siobhan said...

I know exactly how you feel. It's so difficult to cram all the food you've missed into a fortnight's holiday

Mutter said...

I am sooo looking forward to UK food retailing when we get home. Every cloud has its silver lining!

Metropolitan Mum said...

I love London for the variety of food it provides. Just cannot get my head round Marmite, blagh...

Kat said...

I am sure you won't need a diet. With limited choices I am sure you will just lose the weight. Glad you are enjoying your time home.

Paradise Lost In Translation said...

With you on this one BiB. I miss lots of foods, AND ingredients for cooking. I really miss coriander. We can get more here thano n our last posting though.

kindasassy said...

variety is always the spice of life....

Dorset Dispatches said...

Paradise - we can't get coriander either, although there are some coriander seeds around in the shops in Sarajevo. Ginger can be interesting too, as are chick peas. You only realise how often you use it in your cooking when you can't buy it.