Monday 1 September 2008

Ramadan

Spare a thought for Bosnia's Muslims today - the first day of Ramadan. Those who are fasting started at 4.19am and didn't break it until 7.26pm. That is no eating or drinking.

There are a load of special foods which are only available during Ramadan here. My favourite is the lepina bread which is a bit like a puffy naan bread. Eaten with cream cheese - it really is so good. I indulge without the fasting bit, which is not the point but never mind.

Adam is intrigued by this development. He tells everyone that the Bosnians only eat when it is dark. I'm not sure what picture he is building in his mind about Bosnia but this is going to add some colour.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I have several 8th graders who observe Ramadan, and I am so impressed with their commitment to their beliefs (and their ability to get through an entire school day without food - all month).

I really like your blog. Glad I found it!

Unknown said...

it's so wicked that ramadam moves around the calendar i've always thought - especially for muslims who live in countries which are far from the equator.. Still I guess the whole thing will get easier as the days are at least going to be getting shorter as they go on! Or do they do the whole thing on mecca time?